If you prefer to prepare mashed potatoes from scratch, by all means do so rather than relying on the frozen variety (though this is a convenient time saver). In this recipe, the potatoes are then the spread atop layers of sauteed onions and bell pepper, fried shredded cod fish, and sliced hard boiled eggs and brushed with beaten egg yolk to promote browning in the oven. It's one delicious casserole.
- 1 package frozen mashed potatoes
- milk (to taste)
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- 2 onions
- 1 red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 package codfish (dry, shredded, soaked and cleaned)
- olives (to taste)
- 1 egg yolk
- Cook mashed potatoes with milk and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- In a saucepan, boil two eggs.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet and sauté thinly sliced onions and pepper cut into slices.
- Let brown.
- When ready, remove from heat and place the onion and pepper in the bottom of an oven-proof dish.
- In the same frying pan, heat olive oil and sauté thinly sliced garlic cloves.
- Add cod and fry. Place fish on top of onion and pepper in the baking dish.
- Cover with sliced boiled eggs and olives. Spread mashed potatoes in an even layer over the top.
- Brush with egg yolk and bake until top is slightly browned.