Cod FrittersAs receitas lá de casa
Salted cod is the starting point to many authentic Portuguese dishes, and these fritters are an excellent example of that tradition. It's shredded and folded into a batter made from eggs, flour, and baking powder, which helps them puff up when cooked so the fritters are anything but dense. Make sure to heat the oil until smoking before dropping in spoonfuls of the batter so the fritters develop a golden brown and crispy crust.
- 1 piece unsalted cod
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 sprig parsley (chopped)
- 1 onions (small, chopped)
- black pepper (grains)
- oil (for frying)
- 1Clean cod and finely shred.
- 2Beat eggs.
- 3Place flour in a bowl and add small portions of water, mixing gently, without beating, until dough is creamy and slightly runny.
- 4Add beaten eggs and mix.
- 5Cover with a cloth and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 6After 30 minutes, add baking powder and cod.
- 7Add parsley and onion.
- 8Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 9In a skillet, fry spoonfuls of batter in hot oil.
- 10Remove cooked fritters from skillet and drain on paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- 11Serve immediately.