Whenever a recipe calls for grated lemon zest, do as this recipe suggests and rub it with your fingertips to release the oils, which are what carry the flavor (and fragrance). Here the zest is combined with the sugar first and rubbed until it resembles wet sand; this will also help make sure the lemon zest is more evenly distributed throughout the batter rather than clumping together, a common enough occurence.
- 175 grams sugar
- 2 lemon (zest)
- 4 eggs
- 125 grams plain yogurt
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 75 grams butter (melted and cooled)
- 225 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 grams grated coconut
- Grease a small baking tray with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and lemon zest, rubbing well with fingertips until the zest's oils are released, and the dough looks like wet sand.
- Add the eggs and with a whisk, beat well until the mixture is voluminous and whitish.
- Add the yogurt, lemon juice, and butter.
- Stir well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and coconut.
- Mix in well with the dough.
- Bring to the oven until baked (toothpick test).
- Remove from mold, let cool slightly, and cut into squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.