Coconut and Lemon Fluffy SquaresAnanás e Hortelã
Whenever a recipe calls for grated lemon zest, do as this recipe suggests and rub it with your fingertips to release the oils, which are what carry the flavor (and fragrance). Here the zest is combined with the sugar first and rubbed until it resembles wet sand; this will also help make sure the lemon zest is more evenly distributed throughout the batter rather than clumping together, a common enough occurence.
- 175 grams sugar
- 2 lemon (zest)
- 4 eggs
- 125 grams plain yogurt
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 75 grams butter (melted and cooled)
- 225 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 grams grated coconut
- 1Grease a small baking tray with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 3In a bowl, mix the sugar and lemon zest, rubbing well with fingertips until the zest's oils are released, and the dough looks like wet sand.
- 4Add the eggs and with a whisk, beat well until the mixture is voluminous and whitish.
- 5Add the yogurt, lemon juice, and butter.
- 6Stir well.
- 7Add the flour, baking powder, and coconut.
- 8Mix in well with the dough.
- 9Bring to the oven until baked (toothpick test).
- 10Remove from mold, let cool slightly, and cut into squares.
- 11Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.