Coconut & Raspberry CakeReceitas Da Felicidade!
Coconut, coffee, and raspberries may sound like an unusual combination, but they play together nicely in this lovely cake, which is made moist by the addition of buttermilk and eggs. Use a strong flavored instant coffee or espresso for the best outcome. When filling the cake pan, you add two alternating layers each of batter and berries, pressing the final layer of berries gently into the top batter layer to help them stay put during baking.
- 90 grams grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (or instant espresso powder)
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 200 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 150 grams sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (or pour a little lemon juice in a small glass of milk and wait 10 minutes)
- 90 grams margarine (melted)
- fresh raspberries (as needed)
- 1Preheat oven to 360°F.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the grated coconut with the coffee powder and warm water and stir.
- 3In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 4Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs with the sugar until you get a fluffy white mixture.
- 5Alternate adding the buttermilk and flour mixture to the egg mixture.
- 6Finally, add the coconut mixture and margarine, and mix well.
- 7Grease and flour a rectangular cake tin.
- 8Place a thin layer of batter in the cake tin, then pour in the raspberries. Cover with the remaining batter. Garnish with more raspberries, burying them slightly in the dough.
- 9Bake for 35-40 minutes.