This delicious recipe for Floating Islands is a palate pleasing sweet treat for any fancy dinner party, wedding, celebration or special occasion. The fluffy and rich custard is paired perfectly with a sweet and beautiful meringue packed with grated coconut. These wonderful hand-held treats need to be refrigerated and served cold for best taste. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this delicious dish as much as we do. Happy baking!
- 2 egg yolks
- 35 grams granulated sugar
- 100 grams milk
- 100 grams heavy cream
- 5 egg whites
- 60 grams granulated sugar
- 250 grams grated coconut
- For the custard, mix the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl for 30 seconds. Heat the milk and cream. Add them to the eggs and stir. Cook for 1 minute in the microwave at 900 watts. Mix. Cook it a little more if the custard is too runny; it should coat a spoon. Let it cool.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. When they start to stiffen, gradually add the sugar until the egg whites are shiny and firm. Fill plastic sandwich containers with the beaten whites and smooth the surface with a spatula. Cook for 30 seconds at 900 watts in the microwave for single-size containers and 40 seconds for larger sizes. Unmold on a paper towel and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut circles out of the cooked whites.
- Pour the coconut on a plate and gently roll the egg circles to coat them. Place the coconut-covered whites on the custard.
- Refrigerate the islands. Serve chilled.