- 1 inch crust (: 9 - single crust)
- flour (cups all-propose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- flaked coconut (cups lightly packed moist)
- 1/2 cup butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg whites
- 3 ounces baking chocolate (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare dough for crust. In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening using a pastry blender or a fork, until flour is blended to form pea-size chunks.
- Sprinkle with water, one tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with a fork or with fingertips until dough forms a ball. DON'T over work dough. For a double crust divide in half.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface, in a circle 3 inches larger than the pie plate you plan on using. Fold dough into quarters. Unfold and press into pie plate.
- For a single pie crust, trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold edge under and flute edge.
- For filling, in a medium bowl, beat eggs, water, sugar, flour and salt together 2 to 3 minutes, until very well blended. Stir in coconut, butter and vanilla.
- Brush unbaked pie shell with unbeaten egg white. Pour filling into pie shell. Bake on the bottom oven rack about 45 minutes or until filling is set and very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack and drizzle with melted chocolate before serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories480Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.