Coconut rules, at least if your are planning on making this terrific cake. It's made with coconut sugar as the sweetener (plus agave or honey), coconut milk, shredded coconut, and coconut flour. And that's just in the batter itself. There's also coc…
nut milk in the icing and toasted coconut flakes that are sprinkled on top as a lovely garnish. To keep all that coconut in check, there is plenty of lime in both cake and icing, too.
- 100 grams butter
- 100 grams coconut sugar
- 50 milliliters agave (or honey syrup)
- 3 eggs
- 2 limes (zest and juice)
- 150 milliliters coconut milk
- 50 grams grated coconut
- 200 grams flour
- 50 grams coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 lime (juice)
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- toasted coconut chips (to taste)
- For the cake, preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F.
- Grease a rectangular cake pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, add softened butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is creamy.
- Add agave syrup and eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Add lime juice and zest and stir well. Add coconut milk and grated coconut, mixing into batter.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix just until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly. Remove from pan and prepare topping.
- For the icing, in a bowl, place powdered sugar, lime juice and milk.
- Mix well until mixture is white, smooth and shiny, without lumps.
- Spread on the warm cake. Let stand so that icing can solidify.
- Sprinkle top with toasted coconut flakes. (Toast them in a dry pan, watching carefully, so that they do not burn).