- 2 cups Swans Down Cake Flour (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks (reserve whites for frosting)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 14 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 large egg whites (reserved from cake recipe)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray 4 (9-inch) cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper. Spray again, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 6 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sour cream, and extracts; set aside.
- With mixer at low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with egg yolk mixture and beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Cool in pans 15 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Coconut Filling: In a medium saucepan, bring condensed milk and butter to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Pour approximately 1⁄2 cup milk mixture into yolks, whisking constantly. Add yolk mixture to saucepan, whisking to combine. Add coconut and extract, stirring to combine. Cover, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, combine sugar, cream of tartar, salt, water, and egg whites. Beat on high speed with an electric mixer 8 minutes. Add extracts, beating to combine. Use immediately.
- Once layers have cooled completely, spread Coconut Filling between layers. Frost sides and top of cake with 8-Minute Coconut Frosting. Immediately cover sides and top of cake with coconut, pressing gently to adhere. Cover, and store in refrigerator up to 3 days, or freeze up to 1 month.