Cocoa Tonka Bean SpiralsCasseroles et claviers
Fragrant tonka beans add their unique smokey and sweet flavor to these cookies. Half the dough is flavored with the exotic spice while the other is flavored with cocoa powder. Together, the two doughs form a delicate swirl of bold yet delicate flavor. These cookies are a little labor intensive, but when you taste the end result you will realize it was all worth it. Cook half of the dough now and save the rest in the freezer for another day when you are craving something sweet and special.
- 300 grams flour
- 150 grams sugar (yellow)
- 2 egg yolks
- 200 grams butter (soft, cut into pieces)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 beans (tonka)
- 1In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, egg yolks, and butter. Knead by hand until a ball is formed. If you have a robot, place this mixture in the bowl with the robot fitted with the hook. Divide the dough in two equal portions, and place in two separate bowls.
- 2In one bowl, add the cocoa, and mix with dough, forming a ball again.
- 3In the other bowl, grate half a tonka bean (if you can't find one, leave the dough plain or stir in the seeds of a vanilla bean), mix well, and form the other ball.
- 4Wrap the two dough balls separately in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 5Remove from the refrigerator and knead the balls separately to loosen up the dough a little bit.
- 6Spread the cocoa dough on a floured surface, and right next to it, spread out the tonka bean dough. Overlap the two and roll them together. Wrap the dough strand tightly with a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 8Remove the dough strand from the plastic wrap using a knife, cut into 3 to 4 millimeter slices. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 9Bake for about 10 minutes.
- 10Cool on a rack.
PER SERVING *
|Calories810Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.