When it comes to holiday entertaining, shellfish rule the day. Somehow these lowly mollusks have taken on dinner party stature, despite being relatively inexpensive, and even if you live miles and miles away from the nearest source. Frozen cockles are easy to find at most supermarkets, and their taste and texture should be fully intact when properly thawed and cooked, here with crushed garlic cloves, fresh lemon juice, and ample cilantro.
- olive oil (as needed)
- 1 head garlic cloves (unpeeled, crushed)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 bunch coriander
- salt (to taste)
- Cover the bottom of a frying pan or a pot (depends on quantity of cockels) with olive oil.
- Turn on the heat, and add the garlic cloves and cockles.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice and cilantro.
- Season with salt and cover the pot.
- Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, uncover and mix the cockles and the sauce.
- When the cockles open, remove from heat and serve.