Buttery, dense, and simple to make, this is the perfect classic pound cake.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9 x 4” loaf pan liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream the ingredients together on medium speed for 1 minute, or until smooth. Add the eggs and continue to beat for a minute more, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl. Beat the mixture on low until it becomes a smooth, thick batter.
- Use a rubber spatula to transfer the batter into the loaf pan.
- Transfer the pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the cake for 75-85 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes.
- To release the cake, run a butter knife between the edge of the cake and the pan. Turn the cake onto a large plate.
- Allow the cake to cool for 1-2 hours before slicing and serving.