- 250 grams minced beef
- 500 grams minced pork
- 6 sage leaves (fresh, very finely chopped)
- 1 onion (grated)
- 1 slice white bread (finely grated or blitzed)
- 2 cans plum tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes)
- 1 red chilli (large, very finely chopped)
- 250 grams mushrooms (halved and finely sliced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 500 milliliters vegetable stock
- 4 streaky bacon (rashers, very finely sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 400 grams penne (dried)
- 6 fresh basil leaves (or so)
- fresh oregano (a little, or dried if you prefer)
- 1. Mix the pork, beef, onion, sage and a generous amount of seasoning very well in a mixing bowl. Shape the mixture into balls and reserve.
- 2. Gently heat some olive oil in a large, deep, heavy pan. Add the bacon and mushrooms and fry until bacon is just browning and mushrooms have softened - about 4 or 5 minutes.
- 3. Add the tomato purée & garlic and stir well, cooking for a minute or so but ensuring the mixture doesn't burn - you can turn down the heat or add a splash of water if need be.
- 4. Add the cans of tomatoes, breaking up if you use the whole plum ones, and bring back to a simmer.
- 5. Add the stock.
- 6. Stir well, then add the meatballs. Cover the pan and cook for 30 minutes, covered.
- 7. If you're using dried oregano rather than fresh, add it here.
- 8. Remove the lid and cook for a further 20 minutes or so, reducing until the sauce has thickened to the desired consistency - make the pasta during this time as per packet instructions.
- 9. Right at the end, tear the basil and oregano leaves and stir through.
- 10. Mix the pasta through the sauce and serve - add a little grated fresh parmesan if you're feeling decadent. Enjoy!
PER SERVING *
|Calories850Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.