Vivid and bold in color and flavor, this recipe for Citrus Tabouli makes a great side for grilled meat or vegetables. A zest lemon and orange dressing brings together the nuttiness of the couscous and the fresh sweetness of the diced veggies. Featuring red and green peppers, cucumber, scallions, and tomatoes, this Citrus Tabouli is vegetarian and vegan friendly. Delicious warm or cold, this versatile side is a great recipe for any season throughout the year.
- 250 grams couscous (medium grain)
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- olive oil (to taste)
- 1 orange juice (large)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 orange peel (zest)
- 1 cucumber (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 red pepper (diced)
- 1/2 green pepper (diced)
- 1 scallions (diced)
- 1 tomatoes (diced)
- parsley (minced, to taste)
- mint (minced, to taste)
- 1Place the couscous in a large bowl, and season with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- 2Cover with water at normal temperature, it´s not necessary to heat the water.
- 3Let stand for 10 to 12 minutes, until the water is absorbed by the couscous, then gently stir with a fork. Repeat the process if the couscous is still very raw. Note that orange juice and lemon will also be added, so do not let it absorb too much water, otherwise it will turn to mush.
- 4A few minutes before serving, stir the couscous, which should be dry and a bit raw, and add the orange and lemon juices. Let it soak again for a few more minutes.
- 5Add to the vegetables. Check the seasoning.
PER SERVING *
|Calories340Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.