Fresh spinach leaves are tossed with a spicy dressing along with mandarin orange slices and water chestnuts. This hearty salad makes the menu alongside a simply grilled pork roast and a loaf of French bread.
- 2 pounds fresh spinach leaves
- 8 ounces mandarin oranges (drained)
- 8 ounces water chestnuts (sliced, drained)
- 1 red onion (small, sliced and separated into rings)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Clean spinach leaves and tear into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl, toss together spinach, oranges, water chestnuts and onion rings. Cover and chill, if made ahead. In a medium bowl whisk together oil, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, orange juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Just before serving toss salad with dressing.