- 2 lemon (washed, thinly sliced, seeds reserved)
- 2 lime (washed, thinly sliced)
- 2 orange (washed, thinly sliced, any seeds reserved)
- 1 grapefruit (ruby, washed, thinly sliced, seeds reserved)
- 5 cups water
- 8 inch square piece of muslin
- 7 cups sugar (approximately)
- jam (jars, sterilized)
- Place lemon, limes, oranges and grapefruit in large wide saucepan so that fruit is no more than 1 inch deep. Add enough water to just cover the fruit (approximately 5 cups).
- Tie reserved seeds into muslin square using kitchen string. Add to pan with fruit. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and simmer, covered for 1 hour 30 mins or until fruit and rind pieces are very tender. You should be able to squash the rind easily with your finger. Remove muslin bag and discard.
- Using a measuring cups, measure the total quantity of fruit in the saucepan. Return to pan with an equal quantity of sugar. Stir well over low heat to dissolve sugar. Use a pastry brush dipped in water to brush down any traces of sugar from sides of pan. Place saucers/small plates in freezer to chill.
- Bring fruit mixture to a boil. Simmer gently over medium heat until marmalade becomes thick and drops off the spoon in large drops. To test for setting quality; remove from heat, drop some of the marmalade onto chilled saucer. Once marmalade cools to room temperature, push gently with finger to see if a skin has formed and wrinkles slightly. If it does, then marmalade has reached setting stage. If not, return to heat and continue to cook another 10 mins before testing again.
- Pour into hot sterilized jam jars right to the top as the marmalade will shrink on setting. Seal jars when marmalade is cold. Label jam and store in a cool dark place.
- Note: to sterilize jars, place in a 250°F oven for 30 mins. Place on a baking tray for easy removal from the oven. Alternatively place in large saucepan of water; bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 mins and dry thoroughly before filling with jam.
No Pectin Citrus MarmaladeAll She Cooks
Jam or Marmalade BarsSimple Nourished Living
Ruby Red Grapefruit & Orange MarmaladeThe Café Sucré Farine
Orange MarmaladeFinding Our Way Now
Triple Citrus Marmalade MashThe Nutrition Adventure
Orange Grapefruit Chia Seed MarmaladeEx Sloth
Super Easy and Delicious Zucchini Butter (or Marmalade)The Kitchn