- 3 pounds leg of lamb
- cayenne pepper (according to taste)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds carrots (peeled, little of the green left on + 2 chopped)
- 3 onions (peeled and chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves (stripped from stems, plus extra for garnish)
- 2 lemons juice (and grated zest of 1, 1 sliced)
- 1 2/3 cups lamb stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce fresh basil leaves (stripped from stems)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rub the lamb with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Heat the oil in a roasting pan and sear the lamb, turning, until browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the 2 chopped carrots, onions, garlic, thyme and half the lemon zest to the hot oil and fry for 2 mins. Pour in the lemon juice and stock.
- Sprinkle the lamb with the remaining lemon zest and return it to the pan. Cover and roast for 2 hours 30 mins, gradually adding 1 cup of water. Scatter in the sliced lemons about 15 mins before the end of the cooking time.
- Cook the carrots in boiling salted water, covered, for 10 mins. Drain and add the butter and basil to the pan.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and allow to rest. Pour the stock through a sieve into a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 mins. Carve the lamb and arrange on a platter with the carrots and gravy.