Can't decide between a cookie and a cinnamon roll? No need to choose with these Cinnamon Roll Cookies! Sweet cinnamon filling rolled into buttery sugar cookie dough, baked and topped with a drizzle a vanilla icing.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons milk
- While the cookie dough chills, prepare the cinnamon sugar filling. In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Remove the chilled cookie dough from the refrigerator. Generously dust a clean work surface with flour.
- Unwrap the cookie dough and place on the work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle approximately 14” x 9”, to ¼” thickness.
- Spread the rectangle of cookie dough with an even layer of cinnamon sugar filling.
- Working gently, tightly roll the cookie dough lengthwise, into a 14” log.
- Cover the log with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Remove the log of cookie dough from the refrigerator. Using a very sharp knife, slice the log into ½” thick cookies. Place the slices onto the baking sheets roughly 1 ½” apart.
- Transfer the baking sheets to the preheated oven. Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes, until the bottom edges are lightly browned.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the sheets, then transfer them to cooling racks to cool completely before icing.
- To make the glaze, place the powdered sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the vanilla and 3 teaspoons of milk. Whisk slowly to combine. If the icing is too thick, add another ½-1 teaspoon of milk.
- Use a spoon to drizzle thin strands of icing across each cookie. Allow to set for 10-15 minutes before serving.