It doesn't get much better than the combinatin of apple, sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts (plus others). Fennel seeds may seem out of the blue but they are actually in keeping with the spiced quality of the cake, adding their own brand of licorice flavor. The apple is folded into the batter, but the walnuts are sprinkled over the batter in the pan before baking, and jam is brushed over the top once it's out of the oven.
- 1 apples
- 6 eggs
- 220 grams sugar
- 180 grams flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon jam (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 356°C.
- Grease a baking sheet with margarine and sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
- Peel and core the apple. Dice or thinly slice. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the apple and mix.
- Add the flour, cinnamon and fennel. Mix well to combine.
- Spread the dough on the prepared pan and sprinkle the entire surface with coarsely chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, checking for doneness.
- Remove from oven and brush with jam while still warm.