You do not have to spend a ton of money to have a five star dinner. Try this recipe for Ciabatta with Black Olives . This rich and flavorful appetizer combines a hearty meal on a budget. Be sure to plan ahead, because these decadent hand held treats need to be refrigerated for at least an hour before serving. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this dish as much as we do.
- 60 grams bread flour
- 60 grams water
- 5 grams baker's yeast
- biga (starter)
- 500 grams bread flour (it can be half regular and half whole)
- 300 grams water
- 40 grams oil
- 10 grams salt
- 12 grams baker's yeast
- 70 grams black olives (chopped)
- flour (for dusting)
- Prepare the starter (biga) the night before baking day.
- For the starter, mix the ingredients in a mixing bowl, kneading lightly.
- Cover with a cotton cloth and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- For the dough, place flour in a large mixing bowl and mix yeast into flour.
- Add salt, biga, oil, oregano, olives and water to flour and mix well.
- Dough will be moist. Knead well until dough is elastic.
- Tip: Lightly knead dough and let rest for 10 minutes, so that it is easier to knead.
- Repeat process 2-3 times.
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with a cotton cloth until doubled in volume.
- Place dough on a floured baking sheet and fold the right side over the center and the left side over the center.
- Let stand for 20 minutes and repeat steps at least 3-4 times.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C (approximately 480°F).
- Place a bowl of water in the oven to add humidity during baking.
- To make mini ciabatta, cut dough into mini portions.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 200°C (approximately 400°F and bake for 20 additional minutes (or bake for 30 additional minutes for large ciabatta rolls).
- Remove and cool on a rack.