Happy V-day! This year I just had to share out my favorite dessert of all time, in the hopes of keeping the Valentine's day fire on—the Mexican Churro with Cinnamon Cardamom Sugar and Dark Chocolate dip, and a fragrant spin with Cardamom and Star An…
se in the mix— familiar with a heady hint of exotic! Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, all smothered with a sinfully dark chocolate sauce.
- 1/2 cup cake flour (ubleached, or all purpose flower)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (+ 1 1/2 - 2 cups for frying)
- 1/2 cup sugar (+ 1 tbsp extra)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder (fresh-ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder (fresh-ground, optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon anise powder (fresh-ground Star, optional)
- 2 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coffee (optional)
- 1. In a medium sized pot, boil the water. When water boils, add the salt, 1 tbsp sugar and oil and stir to combine.
- 2. Add the flour, turn off heat. Stir continuously and vigorously to combine with a wooden spoon or any firm utensil, till the dough balls up and follows your spoon around in the pan. Set it aside to cool down. Dough should feel as firm (or even a tiny bit softer) as play dough.
- 3. In another small to medium size pot, heat up 1 1/2 to 2 cups high-heat oil (Canola, peanut etc. I used Grapeseed due to its neutral flavor). The oil should run at least 3/4 to 1 inch deep in the pan.
- 4. While the oil heats up. In another pan, transfer all chocolate sauce ingredients and set the pan to as low as your stove can go. Stir often to ensure even melting.
- 5. Grease the insides of the piping bag with some oil (with a star tip attachment) with your hand to make traveling of the dough a bit easier. Insert the dough and squeeze it all the way to the bottom.
- 6. When ready, start squeezing the dough out of the bag and cut off at 6 inch length, straight out of the piping bag, dropping it very carefully into the hot oil. Alternatively you could lay out the strands on parchment and transfer them into the oil. Do not overcrowd pan.
- 7. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes turning them every minute. If it takes longer than 2 to 3 minutes your oil isn't hot enough. (You can also check by inserting the back end of a wooden spoon into the oil, and if it bubbles steadily, oil is ready.)
- 8. Transfer Churros to a dish lined with paper towel.
- 9. In a spice mixer, add Cinnamon bark, 8 Cardamom pods (seeded) and 1 Star Anise and blend to fine powder. Transfer to a wide dish and add 1/2 cup sugar. Coming well.
- 10. Toss the Churros into the sugar cinnamon mix while warm.
- 11. Stir chocolate sauce well and transfer into dipping cup. Serve and enjoy!
|Calories940Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat460|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.