- 130 grams water
- 150 grams milk
- 100 grams cereal (9-grain)
- 10 grams honey
- 75 grams walnuts (or other preffered nut)
- 100 grams dried fruits (*, raisins, cherries, cranberries or even mixed peels..)
- 50 grams water
- 9 grams instant dry yeast
- 5 grams sugar
- 275 bread flour
- 100 grams whole wheat flour
- 10 grams salt
- Egg wash
- rolled oats (or nuts for topping)
- Soak 9-grain cereal mix in water, milk and honey for 30mins.
- Mix the walnuts and dried fruits in a separate bowl.
- Dissolve dry yeast in water, then sprinkle some sugar on the top. Leave it for 5mins until foamy.
- Place the flours and salt together. Gradually add in the cereal mixture and knead them together. Add in yeast mixture and continue kneading for 20-25min until the dough comes off the sides of the bowl cleanly.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle. Sprinkle the fruit and nuts on the top of the bread. Roll it up (like a swiss roll), and if it falls apart don't panic. Knead until the fruits and nuts are evenly worked in. Form a ball and proof it in a slightly oiled bowl for 1 hour until it doubles in volume. Remember to cover the bowl up with a cling wrap!
- Divide the dough into two and form it into a loaf. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle the bread with topping preffered. Let it rest for another 30min covered. (I used an aluminium foil)
- Preheat oven to 220C. Place a tray of water in the lower rack and bake the bread in the middle rack of the oven for 25-30mins. (as the steam enhances the crust)
PER SERVING *
|Calories440Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.