Fruit cake does not have to be a hard store-bought log that no one will eat. This recipe for Christmas “Fruitcake” with Dried Apricots and Almonds is a delicious way to bring the family together. It takes 90 minutes to prepare this perfect dessert for four. This rich cake is packed with sweet dried fruits and salty almonds. This is not the traditional fruit cake. We hope you enjoy this treat!
- 250 grams softened butter
- 250 grams granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 200 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 140 grams dried apricots
- 140 grams raisins (sultana)
- 100 orange peel (gramscandied)
- juice (The zest and the, an orange)
- juice (The zest and the, a lemon)
- 50 grams butter
- 100 grams corn syrup (or honey)
- 150 grams toasted almonds
- 50 grams sliced almonds (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees Celsius (285°F).
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and ground almonds, mix well.
- Add the sliced almonds.
- Cut the dried apricots into small pieces and add to flour mixture.
- Add raisins, chopped orange peel and lemon and orange zest and juice.
- Add this mixture into the butter and beat until smooth.
- Line a cake pan with parchment paper.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan and bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the end of baking time, remove cake from the oven and top with crumble topping.
- To make the crumble topping, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the syrup and stir until thick.
- Add toasted almonds.
- Pour on top of cake.
- Raise the temperature of the oven to 180 C to brown the topping, for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Let it cool before unmolding on a wire rack.
- Serve cold and dusted with icing sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1820Calories from Fat920|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat920|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.