Start a new Christmas tradition with this one of a kind log. Blanketed in lemon flavors, this rich dessert will give you one more reason to look forward to the holidays every year. Rich and decadent, you will want to skip the candy with just one small slice of this divine confection.
- 150 grams egg whites (about 5 egg whites)
- 300 grams granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground lemongrass
- 1 lemon (organic)
- 250 grams water
- 120 grams granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 110 grams sugar
- 110 grams flour
- 130 grams granulated sugar
- 200 grams butter (soft)
- 4 eggs
- 5 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered gelatin (unflavored)
- 200 grams mascarpone
- confectioners sugar
- 1 lime
- To make the meringues, weigh the egg whites and multiply the weight by 2 to get the amount of sugar to use.
- Preheat oven to 95 degrees Celsius.
- In a small saucepan over low heat cook the sugar and the egg whites, stirring well until the sugar dissolves and reaches a temperature of 37 C. Remove from heat.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, gradually add the lemongrass powder and keep beating until stiff peaks form.
- Using a pastry bag place small domes of meringue in a baking sheet.
- Bake for 60 minutes, let it cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the lemon syrup. In a small saucepan, boil the water, sugar and zest of a lemon. Let boil for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220 C.
- Separate the eggs.
- With the stand up mixer beat the egg whites until foamy, add half of the remaining sugar and continue to beat for about 1 minute, continue adding the remaining sugar and keep beating until stiff peaks form. Add yolks into the egg whites and mix very quickly .
- Pour the sifted flour and fold with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter on a baking plate lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the batter with a spatula so its 1cm thick.
- Bake for about 7 to 8 minutes, remove it from the oven.
- Turn the cake over a damp cloth.
- Brush the cake (while it's still hot) with the lemon syrup to soak it, let it cool (5 to 10 minutes)
- Sprinkle the gelatin powder in cold water.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Bake this mixture at 85 C until thickened.
- Add the gelatin, mixing until well incorporated.
- Cool this mixture to 45°C and then add the butter cut into pieces.
- Mix to get a smooth cream.
- Wrap with plastic film and store in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (not more, or the gelatin will set)
- Spread half of the mascarpone cream on the cake.
- Roll the pie gently but tightly. Cover it and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With the electric mixer, beat the remaining mascarpone cream to obtain a smooth and airy texture.
- Take the cake out of the refrigerator and with a spatula ice it with the lemon/mascarpone cream.
- Carefully place the meringues.
- Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and lime zest.
- Keep cool until serving.
- It can be made up to a day before.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1450Calories from Fat560|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat560|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.