Christmas Lima Bean Salad is a favorite in many kitchens around the world. The recipe is simple to make and you will enjoy the deep, chestnut bold flavor! www.letstacoboutitblog.com
- 2 cups christmas lima beans (rinsed and soaked in water for at least 8 hours)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or bacon fat)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed, preferably Ruby Red)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper (fresh)
- 1 Thai pepper (or jalapeño, sliced as thin as possible)
- chopped cilantro
- Bring large dutch oven to medium heat and add the fat.
- Sauté onion, garlic, and salt 1-2 minutes until onions are slightly translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add beans, water, broth, cumin, and bay leaves to pot. Turn heat to medium-low and cook for 1-1 1/2 hours until tender.
- In the meantime, whisk together grapefruit juice, agave, salt pepper.
- Slowly pour in olive oil into grapefruit mixture while continuously whisking, then refrigerate.
- Once the beans are tender, drain the beans and discard the onion and bay leaves.
- Pull the vinaigrette from the fridge and re-whisk for a moment to recombine the ingredients, then toss with the sliced pepper and beans.
- Garnish with roughly chopped cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, or toasted pepitas.
PER SERVING *
|Calories450Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.