Christmas holidays means it is time to break out the bread machine to make a traditional Christmas fruit loaf. Made with candied oranges and cherries, this spiced fruit loaf contains all of the traditional holiday flavors. Preparation for this fruit loaf is intended for a bread machine. Allow the loaf to double in size before putting it into the oven. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for an elegant and festive finish.
- 300 milliliters water
- 425 grams strong flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 25 grams lard
- 1 pinch salt
- 7 grams yeast (dried)
- 100 grams lard (at room temperature)
- 25 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 50 grams orange (candied, chopped)
- 125 grams cherries (stoned, in natural juice, drained)
- 100 grams cane sugar
- powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- Place all the ingredients into the bread maker in the order above. Set the program to ‘dough.’
- In a separate bowl, add the sultanas, orange and cherries, with the sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- When the program is finished, the dough should be sticky.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and press down to release any air.
- Roll out into a rectangle about 1 centimeter thick.
- With the narrow part facing towards you, sprinkle small pieces of lard and butter over the dough.
- Spread the fruit mixture over 2/3 of the dough.
- Fold over the remaining third into the center, and then fold again to form a rectangle with 3 layers.
- Turn the dough 45 degrees and roll again, repeating step 8.
- Place on a lined baking tray.
- Leave to rest, cover with a cloth, until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Cook for 30–40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories890Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.