- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/3 cup candied apricots (chopped)
- 1/3 cup candied pineapple (chopped)
- 14 tablespoons butter (chopped, at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 eggs
- 1 orange peel (finely grated)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- whole almonds
- candied fruit
- Mix raisins, dried cranberries, currants and brandy in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 3 hours or overnight. Stir in candied apricots and pineapple.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Lightly grease an 8 inch square cake pan. Line the bottom and sides of the pan with two layers of parchment paper, making sure it comes 1 inch above the rim of the pan.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in fruit mixture and orange peel.
- Sift flour, baking powder and spices into a bowl. Add 1/2 to the batter and mix well. Stir in 1/2 the orange juice and pecans. Fold in remaining flour, orange juice and pecans.
- Pour carefully into prepared pan (make sure to pack into corners), smoothing top. Decorate with candied fruit and almonds.
- Bake for 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 hours, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean and dry. Cover cake with clean tea towels and cool completely. Remove from pan and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil.