- 2 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup brandy (or sherry)
- 4 ounces glacé cherries (plus additional, to decorate)
- 14 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 eggs
- 1 orange peel (finely grated)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (such as pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- blanched almonds (Whole, to decorate)
- Combine dried fruit, cranberries and brandy in a large, non-metallic bowl. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Line bottom and sides with 2 layers of parchment paper, allowing it to come 1 inch above rim. Stir cherries into fruit mixture.
- Beat butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in fruit with brandy and orange peel.
- Sift flour, baking powder and spices into a medium bowl. Stir 1/2 each of the dry ingredients, orange juice and walnuts into the batter. Fold in remaining flour, juice and walnuts.
- Spoon into prepared pan, pushing into corners. Smooth top. Decorate with almonds and additional cherries, pressing them into the surface.
- Bake for 2 1/2-3 hours, until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean and dry. Cool, completely covered with tea towels. Remove from the pan. Wrap in plastic wrap, then foil. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks.
PER SERVING *
|Calories480Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.