Christmas Cookies: Linzer and Snow StarsOn dine chez Nanou
Who needs snow, when you can have snow-shaped cookies? This Christmas treat may just make the transition to year-round favorite. Top them with jams or jellies of your choice to create different color themes.
- 450 grams butter (softened)
- 600 grams powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 700 grams all-purpose flour
- 370 grams gooseberries (or cherries or raspberries jam)
- 1 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon
- 1In a bowl, mix the butter and 300 grams of powdered sugar until it is quite creamy.
- 2Add 2 eggs, the vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, the flour, and mix to get a homogeneous dough.
- 3Wrap it with plastic film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 4Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 5Remove the dough from the refrigerator and wait 10 minutes before working with it so as not to break it.
- 6Divide in 3, and roll out the first third on a lightly floured work surface until it is 3 to 4 millimeters thick.
- 7Cut out the shapes with a cookie cutter and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure to have as many solid cookies as cookies with cutouts.
- 8Bake for 12 minutes until lightly browned.
- 9Proceed in the same fashion with the remaining dough.
- 10Prepare a dish with 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar. Right out of the oven, coat the cutout cookies, and let them cool down.
- 11Coat the solid cookies with the jam when they begin to cool down.
- 12Then paste 2 cookies together (the jam will make the cookies 2 parts hold together)
- 13Using the same recipe you can make around fifty shortbread cookies depending on the size of the cookie cutter that you use.
- 14Beat the egg white with a fork, gradually adding 280 grams of powdered sugar, and a few drops of lemon juice to get the desired texture, thick enough that it does not run off the cake.
- 15You can use a pastry bag with a small nozzle to ice the shortbread cookies.
- 16First, delimit the edges of the cake and then fill up with the icing.
- 17Let stand for 20/25 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories20Calories from Fat9|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat9|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.