Forget the colored icing and elaborate decorations; sometimes less is best, as demonstrated by these lovely holiday cookies, which are simply dusted with powdered sugar "snow." Their flavor is anything but simple, though, what with coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut flour, and coconut sugar (calling all coconut lovers!), plus ground almonds and cinnamon, making up the dough. How could they be anything less than delicious? You could of course cut the dough into other shapes, too.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 5 tablespoons coconut milk (warm)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup spelt flour (whole)
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 pinch salt
- powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, milk and cinnamon and mix well.
- In a larger bowl, place the remaining ingredients, mix well and make a well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the well. Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- If the dough is too dry, add more coconut milk and mix.
- Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- On a work surface, sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar and roll out the dough to desired thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out the dough and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.