- 2 tablespoons butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 1 onion (small, peeled and finely chopped)
- 12 ounces pumpkin (deseeded, flesh removed and roughly chopped)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 medium eggs (separated)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 20 ounces cod fillets
- 8 slices chorizo
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- pink peppercorns (crushed, optional)
- Melt 2 tsp of the butter in a frying pan, add the onion and cook for 2-3 mins. Add the pumpkin and cook for another 3-4 mins. Add 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup water to come 1/4 inch up the side of the pan. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and simmer for another 10 mins until the liquid evaporates. Purée the pumpkin using a blender or food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. To make the white sauce, mix the flour and baking powder together. Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan, add the flour-baking powder mixture continually stirring with a wooden spoon. Gradually add the milk, stirring, for at least 5 mins, until the sauce has thickened. Set aside to cool for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites until stiff. Set aside. Stir the egg yolks, pumpkin purée and nutmeg into the cooled white sauce. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then fold in the egg whites. Divide between 4 x 2/3 cup-3/4 cup greased and floured ramekin dishes.
- Make 2 wide cuts on the top of each cod fillet and insert a slice of chorizo into each cut. Place the fish onto a greased baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Bake the fish and soufflés in the same oven for 20-25 mins. Serve sprinkled with crushed pink peppercorns, if using.
|Calories310Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.