Serve with breadsticks and ice tea.
- 8 ounces ham (thinly sliced, cut into bite-size strips)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (Chinese five-spice, OR)
- 1/2 cup pecans (halved)
- 1/4 cup oil (and vinegar dressing, OR Italian salad dressing)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 10 ounces mixed salad greens (Mediterranean-style, OR Italian-style, torn)
- 1/2 cucumber (small, halved lengthwise and sliced)
- 1 cup pea pods (fresh, halved crosswise)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 ounces goat cheese (semi-soft OR feta cheese, crumbled)
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in five-spice powder. Add pecans; cook and stir until nuts are toasted. Set aside. Combine salad dressing and sherry in a screw-top jar. Set aside.
- Combine salad greens, ham, cucumber, pea pods, tomatoes and toasted pecans in a large salad bowl. Shake salad dressing mixture to combine; pour over greens mixture. Toss until coated. Sprinkle with crumbled cheese.