The classic oatmeal cookie gets an upgrade in this chocolate, banana, and cardamom version. These cookies are made with no dairy, instead substituting banana and coconut oil for wet ingredients. Lightly sweetened with brown sugar, these cookies also contain a splash of spice in the form of cardamom. Allow for time for the dough to be refrigerated after shaping so that the cookies retain their shape when baking. Double the recipe and form half the dough into cookie balls and freeze for a treat that is ready in just 15 minutes.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or raw cacao)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (or 1/2 tsp. to taste, can be substituted with cinnamon)
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cardamom in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the mashed banana, egg, sugar, and coconut oil.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture until well blended.
- Then add the oats and chocolate flakes. Mix.
- Form balls of dough using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop.
- Arrange the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes before cooking, so the cookies don't flow while cooking.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- The cookies will be soft. Cool on a rack.
- Store in an airtight container to retain softness.
|Calories350Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.