- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hellmann's or best foods real mayonnaise
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch round cake pans*; set aside. 2. In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; set aside. 3. In large bowl, with electric mixer at high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise at low speed until blended. Alternately beat in flour mixture with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour into prepared pans. 4. Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. On wire racks, cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely. Frost, if desired, or sprinkle with confectioners sugar. *Or, prepare cake mix as above in 13 x 9-inch baking pan and bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
PER SERVING *
|Calories570Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Heidi Crosgrove-Trobaugh 28 days ago
turned out well, i made no changes
Law 20 Jun
Awesome Recipe... Chocolate Buttercream is awesome with this. Very Chocolatey and Moist!
Dee R. 16 Mar
very tasty, however, I had to add more time to bake the cake.
Glenda C. 29 Aug 2016
I thought when you used mayo in a cake recipe that you wouldn't need eggs as well. Wonder if it would work to substitute chia seeds, 1 tbsp. plus 3 tbsp. water,. equivalent for each egg called for if this would work, as I have substituted chia seeds or flax seeds in other cake recipes with good results.
Ellie Brooks 3 May 2016
This cake was super moist and delicious! In fact, I'm about to make it again. I paired it with a chocolate cream cheese frosting that had a touch of cinnamon; perfection!
Shawna M. 12 Feb 2016
I used dark cocoa instead of the regular hershey's cocoa (out of desperation--running late and was out of the regular). It was a happy accident and made the cake really rich, but not too sweet.
Gillian H. 18 Aug 2015
Well it's in the oven now so in about 20minutes I'll know but it's a quick and easy recipe without the fat*** cake is out of the oven and it looks great!