- 6 eggs (separated)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (+ 2 tbsp)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (+ 2 tbsp)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 cups whole milk (or 2%)
- 1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract
- 5 sheets gelatin (or 2 1/2 tbsp powdered gelatin, soaked in cold water)
- 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 3 1/4 pounds strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 13 x 15 inch baking pan. Whisk egg whites, 5 tbsp water and a pinch of salt to stiff peaks, gradually adding 3/4 cup sugar. Add egg yolks. Fold in flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Transfer to prepared pan and smooth out. Bake for 10 mins, until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix custard powder, remaining sugar and 6 tbsp milk. Place vanilla extract and remaining milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add custard mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Simmer for 1 min then remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool for 2 hours.
- To finish, remove cake from pan and place on a cake plate. Dissolve bloomed gelatin in a small saucepan set over low heat with 1 tbsp heavy cream then stir into the remaining cream. Whip to stiff peaks. Whip custard then fold in cream. Spread over cake. Arrange strawberries on top. Heat jam then drizzle over strawberries. Chill for 3-4 hours.
|Calories210Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.