Chocolate and Pepper BrownieAnanás e Hortelã
Adding spicy chile pepper to chocolatey sweets, including ice cream, hot chocolate, and these brownies, is not just a passing fad but based on a longstanding tradition in Mexico and elswehere to provide a kick of welcome heat that balances out the sweet factor and matches the intensity of dark chocolate. Here, cayenne pepper and cinnamon are the spice notes in brownies that contain melted bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate bars (70% cocoa)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2Grease and line a pan with parchment paper.
- 3Melt the chocolate with the butter in a double boiler.
- 4Place in a bowl and add the sugar and water.
- 5Stir well.
- 6Add the eggs, oil and vanilla and beat well.
- 7Add the cocoa, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and pepper and fold gently until smooth.
- 8Place the batter in the pan and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick insert comes out clean.
- 9Allow to cool, unmold and cut into squares.