- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 7 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- 2 egg whites
- 5 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup coffee
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 1/3 cups butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup cream
- 3 ounces chocolate (caramel, cut into triangles)
- raspberries (to decorate)
- mint leaves (to decorate)
- To make the chocolate nougat, grease and line an 8 x 8 inch baking tray. Heat 3/4 cup of the sugar in a saucepan with the corn syrup and 3 tbsp water, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Continue to simmer without stirring until the temperature reaches 250ºF (measure using a candy thermometer).
- Meanwhile, melt 2 oz of the dark chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Beat the 2 egg whites until medium-stiff peaks form. Gradually add the syrup mixture, while continuing to whisk. Whisk for 2-3 mins until stiff shiny peaks form. Stir in the melted chocolate, a pinch of salt and the malted milk powder. Spoon into the baking tray and level the surface. Allow to cool. Cut into triangles. Set aside.
- To make the cake, grease a 10 cup Bundt pan and dust with flour. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Mix the hot coffee with the espresso powder and allow to cool. Separate the 5 remaining eggs.
- Whisk the butter with 1/2 cup of the sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt, until light and creamy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in all but 1 tbsp of the cocoa powder, the flour and baking powder. Stir through the coffee mixture, then stir in the ground hazelnuts.
- Beat the egg whites for 2-3 mins until stiff, trickle in 1/2 cup of the sugar and a pinch of salt, continuously whisking until stiff and shiny. Stir the egg whites through the cake mix. Spoon into the bundt pan and level the surface.
- Bake for 50-60 mins. Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 25 mins. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate caramel sauce by melting the remaining chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Bring 9 tbsp water, the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, the remaining 1 tbsp of cocoa powder and the cream to a boil. Stir the chocolate through the caramel mixture. Drizzle over the cake.
- Decorate with the chocolate nougat, caramel chocolate, raspberries and mint leaves.
PER SERVING *
|Calories430Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.