- 5 1/4 ounces milk chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 caramel squares (soft)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 ounces white chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 1 1/3 cups mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 3 leaves gelatine (soaked in cold water, or 2 1/4 tsp powdered gelatin, bloomed in 1 tbsp cold water)
- 1 bar milk chocolate (shaved with a vegetable peeler, for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan paper liners. Melt the milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- For the cupcakes, beat the butter, vanilla extract, 3/4 cup sugar and a pinch of salt with the whisk of a mixer until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the melted chocolate. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir in. Spoon into lined muffin cups and press a caramel into the center of each. Bake for 30 mins. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, heat 1/4 cup cream in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat, add the white chocolate and stir until melted. Allow to cool. In a bowl, beat the mascarpone, liqueur and 2 tbsp sugar until smooth. Stir in the chocolate. Whip remaining cream until it begins to form stiff peaks.
- Dissolve gelatin in a small saucepan set over a low heat (if using leaves, squeeze out the excess moisture first). Remove from heat and stir in 4 tbsp mascarpone mixture, then stir this back into the remaining mascarpone. Fold in the whipped cream and chill until the mixture begins to set.
- To assemble, remove the cupcakes from the paper liners. Spoon the mascarpone mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle and pipe a swirl on to each cake. Sprinkle with milk chocolate shavings.
|Calories450Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.