- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup self rising flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ounce white chocolate (melted)
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream (whipped)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 7 ounces semi sweet chocolate (broken)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and line bottoms of two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Dust sides of pans with a little flour. Shake out excess.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer for 30 seconds until frothy. Gradually add sugar and beat until thick and pale and mixture holds its shape (may take 10 mins).
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and cornstarch onto a piece of parchment paper. Combine 1/3 cup hot water and butter in a small bowl. Gradually fold flour into egg mixture, then add water mixture. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 20-25 mins, until sponge cake springs back when touched lightly. Loosen edges with a small spatula. Cover a wire rack with a tea towel, then turn out cakes. Cool completely.
- For the chocolate ganache, heat cream in a small saucepan until almost boiling. Add chocolate, stirring until melted. Cool until spreadable.
- Spread over top of 1 cake. Drizzle small dots or lines of white chocolate over ganache. Using the tip of a skewer, gently drag white chocolate through ganache to create a feathered pattern. Spread bottom cake with jam and whipped cream. Top with decorated cake.
PER SERVING *
|Calories380Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.