Despite their fancy shape, roulades (or rolled cakes) are easy enough for even beginner bakers to accomplish. That's due in large part to the way the jelly roll cake, which is called a sponge cake, is malleable enough after baking to be picked up and rolled up and otherwise manipulated, all without rips or tears. While it is still hot, spread the cake with the chocolate cream and then roll up into the log, placing the seam side down to help it hold the shape.
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 100 grams sugar
- 80 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- powdered sugar
- 1 can cream (Nestle chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a pan with butter. Line with parchment paper, then butter the paper as well.
- Beat the eggs with the yolks and sugar, forming a velvety cream.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder and gently mix.
- Spread the batter in the pan and smooth out with a spatula.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Cover a working surface with powdered sugar and place the warm dough onto the surface. Spread the chocolate cream on top and roll up the dough.
- Serve with tea.