There’s chocolate cake, and then there’s this chocolate torte: two thin cake layers filled with a silken mousse and fresh raspberries. The mousse is also extra-ordinary, given that it is enriched with both fromage blanc (or Greek yogurt) and mascarpone—and worth the splurge for the memorable flavor. This is a special-occasion dessert, after all, and a make-ahead one at that. Shaved dark chocolate and fresh raspberries are the essential embellishments.
- 3 eggs
- 190 grams granulated sugar
- 70 grams flour
- 30 grams cocoa powder
- 3 sheets gelatin
- 200 grams heavy cream (35% fat)
- 500 grams raspberries
- 250 grams fromage blanc (20%, plain Greek yogurt can be used as substitute)
- 200 grams mascarpone
- 7.5 grams vanilla sugar
- dark chocolate (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and 90 grams of granulated sugar.
- Add the cocoa powder and the flour. Stir well.
- Pour the batter into a pan of 22 centimeters in diameter (either in silicone or lined with parchment paper).
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool and unmold onto a wire rack.
- Start preparing the mousse by first letting the gelatin sheets soften in cold water.
- Whip the cream until it turns into whipped cream.
- In the mixer bowl, pour the mascarpone (keep 2 tablespoons for the gelatin ), the fromage blanc, 100 grams of granulated sugar, and the vanilla sugar.
- Whisk to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Wring the gelatin. Heat 2 tablespoons of mascarpone in the microwave to melt the gelatin in it. Mix well with a fork.
- Gradually add this mixture to the mascarpone / cream cheese and sugar preaparation.
- Add the whipped cream by gently lifting the mixture with a spatula.
- Cut your cake in 2 pieces across the width.
- Leave a first half in the bottom of a cake ring.
- Cover with half of the mousse, then top with the raspberries (approximately 375 grams), and pour the remaining mousse.
- Cover with the second half of the cake.
- Cover the mold with cling film.
- Refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- When ready to serve, place a knife inside the pastry ring to unstick.
- Grate a bar of chocolate to get the decoration chips of the top and add the raspberries.
PER SERVING *
|Calories520Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.