Topped with almond icing, pearl sugar and almond slivers, this classic Italian Easter cake is dotted with candied orange peel. Its batter, which is made with flour and potato starch is flavored with Strega, vanilla and lemon juice. While it is typically prepared for the spring holiday, there's no reason you can't indulge throughout the year. For authenticity's sake, you'll need to invest in a dove-shaped colomba pan.
- 500 milliliters milk
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams butter
- 50 grams flour
- Place the milk and the sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add the chocolate and let it melt slowly.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan and add the flour slowly to avoid lumps.
- Add a little of the milk mixture and then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Stir with a spoon and return the saucepan to the heat once the milk mixture has been incorporated completely.
- Stir continuously on the stove for 1 or 2 minutes and add the milk mixture gradually repeating these steps. The pudding will turn out creamy and uniform in consistency.
- Wet a 1 liter silicone pudding mold with cold water and pour the pudding inside.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove the mold from the refrigerator, place the mold in hot water for a few seconds and turn the pudding out onto a serving platter.
- Garnish with candied orange peel or strawberries, raspberries, or other fruit of your choice.
PER SERVING *
|Calories550Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.