Napolitanas, pain au chocolat, chocolate croissant. In whatever language you say it, these pastries remain a tasty and luxurious treat of the local bakery or patisserie. Now you can bring this tasty treat into your kitchen. With instruction for preparation of puff pastry in a mixer, you will feel yourself slowly but surely becoming a pastry chef. The flavor of chocolate you use for the filling is up to you. For a rich decadent chocolate flavor, use dark or semi-sweet chocolate. For a lighter flavor, use milk chocolate. For a uniquely sweet flavor, use white chocolate.
- 300 milliliters milk (warmed)
- 500 grams all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 25 grams sugar
- 55 grams butter
- 7 grams dry active yeast (instant)
- 2 bars chocolate (flavor of your choice)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- In the bowl of a kitchen stand mixer add in the milk and cover the milk with all the flour. Then add the salt, sugar, and 55 grams of butter. Make a well in the center and add the yeast. Using the dough hook attachment, turn the machine on and let it mix until everything comes together.
- Pour the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and mash it flat. Roll it out into a rectangle of 35 by 18 centimeter Viewing from the widest side, fold the top 1/3 of the dough over the middle 1/3 of the dough.
- Spread the remaining 225 grams of butter over the exposed dough then fold the bottom 1/3 of the dough over the middle 1/3 of the dough.
- Roll the dough out very gently into a rectangle 55 by 35 centimeter
- Cut out 10 to 12 rectangles of the same size and place 3 oz. of chocolate in the middle of each one. Starting on the narrow end, roll the dough up over the chocolate.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper making sure seam-side is down and there is room between each one.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rise 30 minutes.
- Baste the tops of the dough with beaten egg and bake 15 minutes until golden and crunchy.
|Calories260Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.