Calling all chocolate lovers: The batter for these indulgent morsels is made with both cocoa powder, for intense flavor, and chopped chocolate, which melts during baking and imparts richness. For best results, use chocolate that is at least 70 percent cacao. Brown sugar lends its own brand of deep sweetness, while peanut oil adds subtle taste, too. All together, these ingredients create a muffin that's unlike any other -- and worth baking for a special breakfast or snack (they pair well with espresso).
- 2 eggs
- 90 grams brown sugar
- 50 milliliters peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 80 grams baking chocolate (70% cocoa)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until smooth. Add the oil and vanilla extract. Add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Mix well. Chop the chocolate coarsely and stir it into the batter.
- Place a paper cup into each muffin tin. Place a heaping tablespoon into each cup. Bake for 25 minutes without opening the oven door.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.