- 12 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs (separated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups whole almonds (ground)
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 20 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- breadcrumbs (to line the loaf pan)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small saucepan, melt 8 oz chopped chocolate, butter, and sugar while stirring. Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt in 2 batches (in 2 separate bowls) until stiff. In a large bowl, sift the flour and 3 tbsp cocoa powder. Stir in egg yolks, ground almonds, and chocolate mixture. Fold in the egg whites in 2 batches.
- Grease a 12 x 4 inch loaf pan and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Pour batter into pan and bake for 45 minutes. Let loaf cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30-40 minutes. Carefully remove from pan and transfer to a plate. Let cool for at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, thaw 1 cup frozen strawberries for 30 minutes, then dice finely. In a medium bowl, combine 12 oz of cream cheese, vanilla extract, and 1 tbsp powdered sugar. Gently stir in diced strawberries. Cut cooled loaf cake in half horizontally and spread with strawberry cream cheese. Cover with top layer and chill for 30 minutes.
- Melt 4 oz chopped chocolate in a bowl set over simmering water. Let cool for 15 minutes. Sift 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp cocoa powder into a bowl. Add 8 oz cream cheese and whisk until smooth and thick. Stir in melted chocolate. Ice entire surface of loaf cake and chill at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, thaw 1 cup frozen strawberries and cut each berry in half. Sprinkle chilled loaf cake with 1 tbsp cocoa powder and arrange strawberries on top.
|Calories610Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.