- 2 ounces dark chocolate (chopped)
- 3 medium eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 1/8 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 pounds bananas (sliced)
- 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar (divided)
- 4 tablespoons chocolate curls (dark)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 inch in diameter springform cake pan and dust with flour. Place the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan filled with 2 inches of simmering water. Stir consistently to melt the chocolate until smooth. Set aside to cool for 5 mins.
- Place the egg whites and 3 tbsp cold water in a bowl and beat using an electric hand mixer. When the egg whites begin to form soft peaks, gradually add the sugar and salt until the egg whites become stiff and glossy. Stir in the vanilla extract and egg yolks, one-by-one. Stir in the chocolate. Mix the flour, cornstarch and cocoa powder together then fold into the batter. Spread the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 15-18 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and set aside to cool for 3 hours on a wire rack. Once cool, remove from the pan and slice in half horizontally.
- To make the filling, mix the bananas and lemon juice. With an electric hand mixer, whip 3/4 cup heavy cream with 1 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar until stiff. Spread half the cream on the bottom cake layer. Add the bananas. Spread the rest of the whipped cream on top and place the upper cake layer on top.
- To make the icing, whip 1 2/3 cups heavy cream and 3 tbsp powdered sugar until stiff. Fold in the chocolate shavings then spread on the top of the cake using a spatula to form soft peaks. Serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories380Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.