End dinner on an elegant note. For fun mini fig tarts, prepare the pie crust in mini muffin tins or a mini tart pan. Also, chop the figs into smaller bites..
- 1 cup figs (packed, 6 ounces, stemmed and halved*)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (finely chopped)
- 1 pie crust (baked in a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom, and cooled to room temperature)
- 1 cup unsalted mixed nuts (such as hazelnuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, almonds and pecans or lightly salted)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Unroll pie crust and press into bottom and up side of 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Prick all over with fork. Bake until light brown, 9 to 11 minutes. Cool on rack.
- In small saucepan, combine figs and water. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and simmer, stirring, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in liqueur. Let steep 10 minutes. Strain figs through fine-meshed sieve, reserving syrup. While figs cool, in small saucepan, bring cream to simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, add chocolate and stir until smooth. Spread over baked crust.
- Refrigerate 5 minutes or until chocolate begins to firm up but is not set.
- Alternate fig slices and nuts in concentric circles on tart, pressing slightly into chocolate to secure. Chill 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- To serve, brush figs and nuts with reserved syrup. Remove side from tart pan and place tart on platter. Cut into wedges. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
- *Cut large figs (greater than 1 1/4-inch diameter at the base) into three lengthwise slices.
- **Or use hazelnut- or orange- flavored liqueur
- SOURCE: Blue Ribbon® Orchard Choice® and Sun-Maid / National Pork Board