Chocolate Eclairs with Crumbly Sugar Coating and Chocolate-Caramel IcingOn dine chez Nanou
Almost everyone loves a good elair, but these take it one step farther. Packed with milk, cream, and sugar, they are super-sweet. Great for parties and other special occasions where dieting is forgotten.
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- 40 grams softened butter
- 55 grams flour
- 175 milliliters whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 40 grams granulated sugar
- 15 grams corn starch
- 5 grams cocoa powder
- 20 grams butter
- 50 grams semisweet chocolate (pieces)
- 50 grams heavy cream
- 50 grams water
- 50 grams whole milk
- 1 pinch salt (and sugar)
- 45 grams butter
- 50 grams flour
- 2 eggs (or 100 grams)
- 50 grams powdered sugar
- 50 grams cream (liquid)
- 50 grams chocolate
- 1To make the cumbly sugar coating, mix the sugar, butter and flour to obtain a smooth paste.
- 2Spread between 2 sheets of parchment paper, to 2 mm thick.
- 3Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 4To make the pastry cream, in a small saucepan, boil the milk.
- 5In a separate bowl, add the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add the hot milk, return to saucepan and cook over high heat, stirring constantly.
- 6Add the cocoa, and when the mixture is warm, add the butter.
- 7Melt the chocolate and cream together in the microwave. Mix well and add to the pastry cream.
- 8Cover with plastic wrap on top and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 9To make the choux pastry, boil water in a medium saucepan along with milk, salt, sugar, and butter.
- 10When its boiling, add the flour all at once.
- 11Remove from heat and mix vigorously.
- 12Return to stove and cook until the mixture seperates from the sides of the pan (about 1 minute).
- 13Pour the dough in the food processor bowl and allow to cool.
- 14Turn on the food processor, and add the beaten eggs one at a time, while mixing quickly to obtain a smooth paste.
- 15Preheat oven to 250 degrees Celsius (480 degrees Farenheit)
- 16Using a pastry bag attached with a 1 cm tip place sticks of dough 12 cm long on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing them enough for them to expand.
- 17Using a wet fork, lightly scratch the eclairs, so they rise evenly.
- 18Cut the sugar coating in strips and place them on each eclair..
- 19Place the eclairs in the oven and turn it off for 10 minutes. Turn it on again and bake to 160 C (320 F) for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 20Let cool on a grill.
- 21To make the icing, add the powdered sugar into a small saucepan over medium heat and make a caramel that is not too brown.
- 22Heat the cream in the microwave and add to the caramel. Stir and add the chocolate. Set aside over a saucepan of boiling water so that the icing does not set.
- 23Whisk the pastry cream for a few minutes to make it lighter. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain 0.5 cm tip .
- 24Make a small hole at both ends of each eclair with the tip of a knife.
- 25Fill one half with pastry cream on one side, and do the same for the other half.
- 26Dip the eclairs directly into the icing, lightly shake off the excess.
- 27Allow them to set at room temperature for 30 minutes and then store them in a cool place.
PER SERVING *
|Calories710Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.