You can prepare croissants from scratch in less than an hour when they're made with a quick puff pastry dough, as in this recipe. Flour, cold butter, water, and salt are quickly blended in a food processor until coarse crumbs, then kneaded with your hands until a dough forms. The dough can be chilled at this point up to overnight before rolling out and cutting into triangles, which are then rolled up with jam or other filling into the tell-tale crescent shapes and baking.
- 300 grams flour
- 300 grams butter (frozen)
- 150 grams cold water
- Nutella (or jam, or whatever you prefer)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- To prepare the quick puff pastry dough:
- Place the flour in the food processor with the butter and a pinch of salt at high speed and add the water.
- Process until the mixture is of the consistency of crumbs and place it on the work surface, using your hands to bring the mixture together.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin, turning and rolling until it is uniform in consistency and soft.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator.
- To prepare the croissants:
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Roll out the dough onto a sheet of lightly floured wax paper into a thin rectangle or circle and cut it into 10 centimeter triangles with a sharp knife.
- Place the Nutella or jam (or any filling you prefer) on the triangle and roll it up starting at the base.
- Place each croissant on a wax paper lined baking sheet and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for approximately 15 to 18 minutes or until golden.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories890Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.