Rich and luxurious both in flavor and texture, these chocolate creme brulee tarts are simply divine. Featuring a chocolate shortcrust pastry, these tarts begin with a layer of chocolate cream that is then covered by a layer of coffee flavored custard. The final touch is a layer of brown and white sugar that is then gently caramelized for a classic creme brulee finish. These tarts are the perfect combination of coffee and cream.
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 125 grams butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- custard (For Coffee)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (dissolved in 2 tablespoons boiling water)
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar (fine)
- 1 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cream (country-style)
- cream (For Chocolate)
- 75 grams dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup cream (country-style)
- Creme Brulee Preparation (Cocoa Short Pastry):
- Blend cocoa, flour, butter, and icing sugar in the blender until the dough has a sandy consistency.
- Add eggs and cold water, mix to form a dough ball.
- Add more flour if necessary.
- Form a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Coffee Custard Preparation:
- Bring to boil in a small saucepan: milk, vanilla extract, and 2 tbsps. sugar. Remove from heat.
- Place eggs and remaining sugar in a bowl and mix. Add coffee and flour. Mix.
- Slowly add the hot milk mixture to the sugar mixture and stir.
- Heat the pan again, and stir for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix well.
- Place the cream in a separate bowl and mix with an electric mixer to form peaks.
- Add the cream to the custard and refrigerate.
- Chocolate Cream Preparation:
- Place the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir occasionally to get a silky mixture. Set aside.
- To assembly
- Roll out the cocoa short pastry to form a large disk.
- Use a pie dish (10 centimeter diameter) to cut out small circles in the dough.
- Place between two sheets of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Put a weight on the dough circles.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper and place the circles in the tart pans, prick with a fork.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes.
- Note: If you do not put weight on the circles during the first baking, the dough will rise, and you will not be able to place it in the molds thereafter.
- Add the chocolate cream mixture to the bottom of each tart.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coffee custard.
- Then add a mixture of white sugar and brown sugar on top of the pies.
- With a burner, gently caramelise each top.
PER SERVING *
|Calories510Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.