Chocolate plus coffee equals mocha madness, which is how best to describe this delectable cake, which has cocoa powder and freshly brewed coffee in the batter. Because it is made with oil instead of butter, the cake has a wonderfully tender crumb. There's also cocoa powder in the simple powdered sugar glaze that's enriched with butter and poured over the cooled cake. It's best when serve with more coffee, of course.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 packet powdered chocolate
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup coffee
- 1 package cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 12 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons low fat butter
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until you get a fluffy mixture with bubbles.
- Add the cocoa powder and the oil, stirring constantly.
- Add the flour. Once well beaten, pour in a cup of freshly brewed coffee.
- Pour the batter into a cake pan greased with butter and dusted with flour (or lined with parchment paper).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 360°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, then remove the cake from the cake pan and cool on a cooling rack.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and add the remaining ingredients.
- Pour it over the cake and garnish as desired.